Sunday, April 8, 2012

Rainbows and a trip to the Theatre

This week Maverick learned about rainbows. We talked about rainbows, how they appear, and sang the rainbow song we learned on Cat in the Hat on PBS Kids. I don't know a song that describes the tune but the words are "Red, Orange, Yellow, Green followed by Blue. Indigo and Violet, that's the rainbow colors for you!" It's cute and catchy and helped Maverick remember the colors of a rainbow in order. In fact a few days after learning about rainbows, the sun was setting and hit the mirror in our kitchen just right so that it reflected a rainbow on the wall of our dining room. It was so clear and Maverick was actually the one to point it out. And he was able to point to each color individually. It was fun to watch him connect his learning to real life.
Next, we read Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert. I love her books and they all lend themselves to great art projects. Maverick loved talking about the names of all the plants, over and over and over. The next day we got ready to paint the flowers and I realized I only had three colors: blue, yellow and red. So it turned into an impromptu lesson on mixing colors because we were able to make all the colors of the rainbow using only those three colors!
Painting stems
Here's the finished product...

A couple months ago, one of our local Living Social deals was for tickets to the Nashville Children's theatre. My students have gone on field trips there and I have always wanted to take Maverick. So, I decided this would be a great opportunity. The show was Click Clack Moo, based on the book by Doreen Cronin. Mav loves animals and loves singing so I knew this would be a great show for him to see. Plus, since having Solomon, I am always looking for ways for just me and Maverick to hang out.
First we read the book at home the night before.

Then went to the theatre.

Next, we got a little booster seat so he could see the stage and waited for the show to start.


It was such a cute show and Maverick had a great time. I love this phase of life even despite all the hard work! I hope you all had a great Easter.








No comments:

Post a Comment